IMPORTANT UPDATE: The BELIEF series is now be available via weblink or DVD for those who do not have access to the OWN Channel. To receive a link or DVD, register your screening event at www.beliefteam.com by October 6 and note in the description that you do not have access to OWN.
For three years Oprah has been working to create a television series that illuminates what bind us together as human beings — BELIEF. With the premier coming up in October, she is looking to mobilize grassroots interfaith efforts to help the series make a lasting change in our society.
When I watched the preview episodes, I was absolutely blown away. The pictures are rich, the stories deep and forever imprinted on my mind. Episode 2, tells the story of Christian Pastor James Wuye and Muslim Imam Muhammad Ashafa, members of the United Religions Initiative Interfaith Mediation Centre Cooperation Circle. These men used to be brutal enemies but now work together to promote peace.
As she prepares for the premier of the series in October, Oprah has said she believes it is best watched with other people. And here’s where you come in: to mobilize grassroots engagement around this series the BELIEF Team has formed with people from around the world who are planning events for, and in the days leading up to, Premier Week. It is a group of organizers from around the world who are planning events for, and in the days leading up to, Premier Week. There is also specific action happening around International Day of Peace as well.
Want to get involved? Here are a few
- Watch the trailer (below) and join the Belief Team at beliefteam.com and share this conversation with friends, family and diverse community members.
- Register events between September 11-21 as BELIEF Days of Compassion events.
- Host community screenings and watch parties during the seven night series Oct. 18th – 24th. If you do not have access to OWN to watch the series, be sure to note that in your event registration so they can share a weblink or DVD with you. The deadline is October 6. http://beliefteam.com/events/
- Spread the word about the series before the premiere via your social platforms using #Belief
- Keep the conversation going after the series by engaging in interfaith/intercultural community forums, Dinner Dialogues and Living Room Chats.
I look forward to seeing you join me on the BELIEF Team and am more than happy to answer any questions — just email me at [email protected]!
North America Regional Coordinator
United Religions Initiative