The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki took place 71 years ago on August 6th and 9th, respectively. To mark this somber occasion with our shared conviction that the world will never again see the death and destruction that occurred on those fateful mornings, Voices for a World Free of Nuclear Weapons Cooperation Circle invites you to recite The Nuclear Prayer as a call for the abolition of all nuclear weapons.
Be part of a global chorus praying together to end nuclear madness.
Join with friends, neighbors, co-workers, members of your faith community and people around the world at anytime between August 5th and 9th to recite The Nuclear Prayer.
Voices for a World Free of Nuclear Weapons Cooperation Circle invites you to view a short video which features our members, who include veterans of nuclear negotiations such as Secretary of State George Shultz, Secretary of Defense William Perry and Professor Sidney Drell, as they join together to recite The Nuclear Prayer.
Here is the prayer that we will recite:
The Beginning and the End are in your hands, O Creator of the Universe. And in our hands you have placed the fate of this planet. We, who are tested by having both creative and destructive power in our free will, turn to you in sober fear and in intoxicating hope. We ask for your guidance and to share in your imagination in our deliberations about the use of nuclear force. Help us to lift the fog of atomic darkness that hovers so pervasively over our Earth, Your Earth, so that soon all eyes may see life magnified by your pure light.
Bless all of us who wait today for your Presence and who dedicate ourselves to achieve your intended peace and rightful equilibrium on Earth. In the Name of all that is holy and all that is hoped. Amen.
The prominent figures featured in the video are:
- The Honorable William J. Perry, former Secretary of Defense under President Clinton
- The Honorable George P. Shultz, former Secretary of State under President Reagan
- Dr. Sidney Drell, Professor Emeritus at the Stanford Linear Accelerator
- Ambassador James E. Goodby, former Strategic Nuclear Arms Negotiator with the U.S.S.R.
- Ambassador Thomas Graham, Jr., former Senior U.S. Diplomat
- Jonathan Granoff, President of the Global Security Institute
- Monica Willard, United Religions Initiative Representative to the United Nations
- The Right Rev. William E. Swing, former Episcopal Bishop of California, and President and Founder of the United Religions Initiative
View the full video:
DOWNLOAD THE NUCLEAR PRAYER BELOW:
Take a photo or video of yourself, friends, congregation, etc. reciting the prayer and email it to [email protected] or post it on Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #TheNuclearPrayer.
The louder our voices ring, the sooner we can see change.
Want to stay in the loop for upcoming events or just show that you care? ADD YOUR VOICE HERE
Download a .PDF of the Resource and Action Packet to Eliminate Nuclear Weapons below: